2021 Month 2:3 (15-21 February)

 It was an EARTHSHAKING week!  Literally!



That is my spot when I read the scriptures in the morning and this is where I was sitting Monday morning when I first heard the patio doors rattle  a little bit.  Then I felt the couch vibrating.  There is not a feature like that in these recliners.  I got up  quickly to stand in the doorway behind. By that time it had stopped.  Grand-papa was in another room.  He felt it also but he did not move.  He likes those.  Me, not so much.  More aftershocks came but they were milder where I was.




Tuesday we are at the mission office.  The three missionaries working at the office just came in and we are talking when all of a sudden it starts shaking again.  This time I was standing next to grand-papa and I had to grab his arm, I was starting to feel dizzy.  




After the shaking,  he brought me to the desk where I work and I sat there for a little bit  about 5 minutes) until it was time to call Arianne for her birthday.  I went in the mission president's office and while we were talking to Arianne.  It started shaking again, enough that she could notice us moving.  It did not last as long and we were sitting, which I prefer.  The office elders all had a big smile on their faces.  I could see the people coming out of their apartments across from the office also with a smile on their faces.  It must have been out of relief.


The red circles are the earthquakes that occurred  Monday and Tuesday.  Actually there were some earthquakes all week but I did not feel them and I am so thankful.  It means they are small enough and with no tsunami threats and no damage to anyone.   

In fact since grand-papa left for Santo for a district conference Friday afternoon, I counted 8 earthquakes mentioned on the Facebook page Vanuatu Meteorology and Geo-hazards Department.  I did not feel any of them.  I am so very thankful.  Grand-papa is coming back tomorrow morning.  I can't wait. 😂


Guidelines to survive earthquakes




We sent some containers to 4 families in Malekula who had no drinking water.  Pretty soon a water tank provided by the Church will be installed for a long term solution.  


                                             

We tried our first zoom with the missionaries and we had a morning scripture study with them.  It took us about 30 minutes to get settled, and one team could not make it work, and we had about a thirty minutes discussion!  As we all get better with this, we can repeat the experience again.  It was very nice! We discussed Alma 7: 22-23 to awaken to a sense of our duty to God.  It does not apply just to full-time missionaries.  I invite you to discuss these verses  with your families.


What else..

The patio door in the dining room was replaced, which means a lot of work to clean the cement dust everywhere.  This cement house was built in the 80's.  The new doors are not the same size as the old ones.  We removed as much as we could and closed all the doors.   Margret moped the floors three times with first a vacuum, then a dry mop then a wet mop.  The next day I could still see dust on the floor.  It is not our first experience.  Another door in the dining room was replaced and also 3 in the living room.  One big door needs still to be replaced in the living room and at this point I hope they wait until we get out of the house while they prepare it for the next mission president and wife.  I heard they are planning to paint the whole house inside and out.  We'll see...

This beautiful bird flew right at the big patio door in the living room this week.  So sad.



The weather in Vanuatu 


A drizzle                                                  that looks more like a downpour




An hour later

I wish you could come and have a swim.  
On this thought I say

Lukum yu nexis wik and

MIFALA LAVEM YUFALA TUMAS









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Semaine 12 (16-22 mars)

2021 Month 3:4 (22-28 March)

2020 Semaine 29 (13-19 juillet)